Monday, October 24, 2011

1920's Halloween

Halloween is just around the corner, and after some humming and hawing over what I was going to be, my good friend, Riley, suggested I be a flapper; no doubt after one of our favourite shows, Boardwalk Empire. No matter why she suggested it, I immediately warmed to the idea. 

You see, I've never been a huge fan of Halloween. When I was a kid, I didn't really like sweets, and now, as a grown up, my issues are more with the costumes. I can enjoy dressing up, escaping your own skin for a little while, but, as a young woman, there are not very many options (it seems) that aren't insanely sexy. Which, don't get me wrong, aren't bad in some cases. But I'm not the type who wants to walk down the street looking like that. 

So I stayed on a flapper. It's fun, comfortable, easy to find and a lot of option! This post is a tutorial about make-up, not the costume. However, just because this IS a fashion blog, I did make a little collage of an outfit that would be great for a 1920's look, that isn't too expensive.


(This is actually a great costume right now -- 1920's is a trend this coming spring, so you might find a lot of options in store!) 

Anyway, what I really got excited about when I thought about being a flapper for Halloween, funnily enough, was the make-up! 1920s make up is so dramatic and dark, something that you definitely can't do every day. Because it takes a steady hand, I decided to do a few practice rounds in the last couple of weeks, just so that the night of, I knew what I was doing. The last time I did it, I took step by step pictures so that I could post it here. 

Please keep in mind, I'm not a make-up artist. I'm not even close. I've had no professional training and all the stuff I'm using can be found at any drug/department store (save for one item I found at a costume shop, but you can use a pressed powder or just your eyeliner in the same way). 

Here is a list of things you're going to need, many you will probably already have: 

- Foundation/primer
- Make-up sponges
- Small angle brush
- Black eyeliner
- Oil based make up (I chose Graftobian Creme Liner in Black)
- Dark red lipstick
- Red lipliner (optional)
- Setting Powder (optional)

The steps aren't really hard to follow, it's more about the angles and being careful with your hand! You might want to try this once or twice before the real thing, as I did. 

The Before 
(scroll down to the end of the post for the after!)

WARNING: THE NEXT PHOTOS INVOLVE A WIG CAP. YOU MAY LAUGH. IT'S OKAY, I'LL NEVER KNOW.

Step 1: The Base

The first step is one of the easiest by far! Begin with your regular foundation and put a generous amount over your entire face. I find by putting it on my eyelids and over my eyelids/lips, it makes my make-up stick better.

Generally, flappers were extremely pale. So if you're already pale, like I am, you'll probably be good with what foundation you already use. If you have darker skin tones, it's not a problem! Don't try to go for a super pale face with the rest of your skin being darker, I think this make-up will look beautiful and dramatic on any skin tone!


Note: I have rosy cheeks naturally. If you tend to have to wear blush, you can also apply a light amount to the apple of your cheeks if you prefer the look! 





Step 2: The Eyeliner

This step is also pretty easy. Take the black eyeliner, and apply it generously entirely around your eye. I use Rimmel's Exaggerate Automatic Waterproof Eye Definer in black (it's the twist version, with the sponge at the other end). If you have liquid eyeliner, you might want to use this instead, because after this eyeliner, I apply, using the angle brush, that cream eye liner for a darker look! 


The first picture is with the Rimmel eyeliner, the second is using the Graftobian. You can see the difference!
Step 3: The Eyelids

This is where the angles and the detail comes in a little more. There are a few options when using this step. I chose to use the Graftobian & angle brush, smudging with the end of my Rimmel eyeliner. You can choose to use pressed powder and a brush OR your regular black eyeliner and a make-up sponge--Play around with it, find what works best for you! Just remember, you want it dark and dramatic.

Using whatever items work for you, you want to start applying to your eyelids. You want to emphasize in specifically two places: the crease of your eye, and the deep inner section under your eyebrow (see below for what I mean!) You still want to apply a smaller amount to the eyelid itself, but you want it to be much darker in these two areas.


You also want to take care with the space between the crease angle you create, and your eyebrow. You want to leave this untouched by the black, because later it will make your look more dramatic. You can choose to add a light highlight there if you'd like!


Here is the finished lid look from the front. When applying to the inner eye, feel free to go up onto the bridge of your nose now, this will help when doing your brows later.

Step 4: The Beginnings of the Brows

Back to another quick an easy step! Using the angle brush and cream liner, or just your regular liner (the sharper the better at this point) you want to start shaping your brows. You can be a bit messy at this point, you're going to soften them up! You don't want too much of an angle in the brows, but you don't want them straight. I find it's easiest to just follow your natural eyebrow shape.

Note: I'm going for an early 1920's look. In the early 20's, women would thicken their brows for more expression and drama. Nearer to the 30's, they were much thinner. I find the thicker brows are a lot easier than trying to achieve the pencil-thin brows.



Step 5: The Finished Brows

I made these two steps, because it's a bit easier to break up! Now, using the thicker shape you've made, you want to go in with your smudge stick (or make up sponge, your choice!) and begin to soften the lines. If you're unhappy with the shape, keep working until you're happy with them. I prefer making the thicker part of my brow almost completely straight (as in completely horizontal) then, in the natural bend of my brows, I begin to follow that. You don't want to have any sharp angles, you want them as soft as possible.




Once you're happy with the size and shape, take a sharp eyeliner, or your angle brush, and extend your brow about an inch or two past your eye using the same angle you have going already (thats why you don't want too harsh of an angle, or the extension will be going down onto your cheek!) This is another key part of the 1920's look.



Congratulations! Your eyes are done!

Step 6: The Lipliner (optional) 

You're almost finished now!

The lipliner is only optional if you don't really care about the shape of your lipstick. If you just want to follow your natural lips, go for it! I also find, with a dark red, it really helps you not mess up haha! I don't change the shape of my lips that much, but I do like the fact it helps me get a clean lip look.


I begin with making three dots on my upper lip, the two peaks and my cupids bow. Then I draw a soft line at the bottom of my bottom lip. From there, you just connect the dots. 

Step 7: Finalize the Lips

This is the easiest step if you've ever applied lipstick before, haha! You literally just put the lipstick on your lips. I chose Rimmel's Moisture Renew, in Burgandy Delight. It's a beautiful deep red, I love it! 



Step 8: Setting Powder (Optional)

The setting powder is completely optional. I only recommend this if you're planning on going out dancing or partying like a crazy person! It's colourless powder that you put over your make up and it will stop it from smudging! If you're just going to a relaxing party, you probably will not need this, it's only for those party animals!

The After (with wig!)







Hope you enjoyed my very first make up tutorial -- HAPPY HALLOWEEN!



-- Rebekah Eden.

No comments:

Post a Comment