Monday, June 27, 2011

Punk Rock

One trend I have always been fond of since my days of wearing too much black has been adding a touch (or a ton) of punk to an outfit. I was pleasantly surprised when this Spring/Summer trend popped up. I've always been a big fan of Balmain since I found them. They've always been a little rock and roll, but this season they added a lot of punk to their collection, along with many other designers.

The best piece of punk that everyone can rock, in my opinion, is a leather studded jacket. These things are probably one of the best investments you can make. Personally leather is too expensive, but even leatherette can be just as good of an investment in your wardrobe. Studded jackets can last a very long time, and the nice thing is if they get roughed up, they still look good. It gives them character. Other great reasons to get one (or two!) of these jackets are that they're rain proof, and you can layer them to wear them in a lot of different weather; and, depending on the colour, they match pretty much anything. You can throw it on and rock it anytime!

Many of my favourite people in the fashion world have always embraced this trend, wearing it in so many different ways. Two of my favourite models (and icons), Freja Beha and Daisy Lowe, both know how to wear a studded jacket.

For Freja, it's almost an every day thing. She dresses simply, but shows how a leather jacket can add a bit of punk flare to a pair of jeans.

Photo: The Fashion Spot

Daisy wears her studded jacket quite often as well, but she loves to pair her's with a flowery dress.


Photo: The Fashion Spot

So enough about how everyone else wears these amazing jackets--the question is, how can you wear them? And the better question is, how can we afford them?

Leather jackets can be expensive, adding studs make them even more money. If you have the funds, my suggestion is to invest in one that is not overly expensive but more than what you might spend on a jacket. However, that's not why I'm here. I'm not here to tell you to spend a lot of money. To be honest, I might not even take that advice because I'm indecisive about what I wear. I would rather get a few different leatherette, suede or denim jackets for the same price as one and have more choices.

I was able to find a few cheap options for those of you who may not have the funds to afford something that's upwards of $200-300.


(From top left to bottom right) Studded TrenchMoto JacketLeatherette Jacket

All the jackets above are about $100 or less, which I think is pretty acceptable for leatherette jackets. Here are some tips from finding your perfect inexpensive leather jacket: 
  1. Check thrift stores first.
    I know what you're thinking: Why is this first on the list? Well, I'm a HUGE believer in thrift stores and always have been. Once you get past the fast someone else has worn the clothing, you are left with some really amazing or interesting pieces you might not be able to find for ages. I say check here for leather jackets first because you will most likely be able to find a few interesting choices (colours, leather types, styles) without spending very much money. Another plus is leather jackets generally look better after being worn. By going straight to the used jackets, you get that worn character right away!

  2. Shop around.
    Don't go with the first jacket you see just because it's a good price or looks good. Leather jackets go in and out of style (especially in the fall) so make sure to check many different stores so you can find your best fit and price.

  3. Buy the right size.
    The right size for leather(ette) jackets is something that you will be able to fit a sweater under, or at least that's what I believe. Leather can be worn almost all year round if you can put a warm sweater underneath. Personally, I think something is a better bargain when I can get more use out of it. However, if you have to go a bit too big, or snug, go with snug. Leather, or faux leather, tends to stretch a little after a few wears, so too big might become way too big after a couple of times wearing it.

  4. Buy one that fits your style
    I know, I know, this whole thing is about trying these out and I know these don't fit into everyone's style easily. All I mean is if you're going to try it, try to make it match your personal style as best as possible. For instance, if you're a more comfortable, relaxed person, stick with something neutral and perhaps without studs. On the other hand, if you're a wild child who will wear anything under the sun, go for something with more character (or buy a few in cool colours) so that it fits. I say this because if it matches your wardrobe, you get more use out of it.

That's it that's all--Let's get to the fun stuff.


Finally, here is a few ways I would wear these kick-ass studded jackets.


City Studs



Leather & Lace


Wild Ride

(Both the ring and the earrings I believe are from Forever21, but no longer in stock)


So I've hope you've enjoyed my little detour through punk-rock village. I really hope this inspires you to rock a nice leather studded jacket on a cold summers night and then carry on the trend year round! It's a great way to bring a little edge to any outfit, so don't be afraid to give it a shot.

Rebekah Eden.

1 comment:

  1. I was so hoping this post would be waiting for me by the time I got back from the movie.

    The postal clutch and the entire 3rd outfit speak to me. HOT.

    ReplyDelete