Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Tie Dye Time

Recently I've been noticing a less obvious trend this season that is especially happening in the less expensive places where I look on a daily basis. It's something that in the past I wasn't overly fond of, but the more I see it, the more I'm beginning to dig it.

If the title didn't give it away, the trend is: Tie Dye!

A few years ago, if you were to ask me about my take on tie dye, I would say the only thing that goes with it is a ripped up pair of converse, head bandanna and a lack of the desire to get a job. But more and more, I see tie dye in beautiful colours (other than rainbow) and designs that aren't the norm. The more I see of these new colours, designs on things that aren't necessarily on a $5 t-shirt, the more I really like it. So I thought I'd try and go out on a limb and make some outfits which focus on the fun of tie dye pieces.

Casual Vibes





























Shirt, Shorts, Hat, Sandals, Necklace, Purse, Ring


C'est couleur.





























Skirt, Shoes, T-Shirt, Hat, Purse, Belt


Feminine Splash





























Dress, Purse, Shoes, Bracelet, Earrings, Ring

So there you have it: three different tie-dye pieces in three different styles. Everything from the more usual casual hippie style with big beaded necklaces, to a bright feminine touch. 
 
Tie dye is an interesting print, but like all prints it has it's misconceptions. Many people have this belief about a lot of prints, especially stripes, polka dots and other common patterns, that make it out into the public and everyone shies away from them. I admit that I've given into these more than once, but I'm trying to open my eyes to them. Although tie dye might still be seen as something that should have stayed in the 1960's, I think it's gone through a wonderful reinvention! The only thing true about tie dye is that you have to have fun with it. It's definitely not something you take seriously!


Rebekah Eden.


P.S. I apologize the specific links to Spring aren't working currently. I will update with the direct links as soon as the site is working again.

1 comment:

  1. I saw someone wearing a tie dye t-shirt the other day and I was like WHAT THE HELL? WHY DO I NOT HAVE ONE OF THOSE? And then you made this post.

    And I totally noticed the Spring site was broken yesterday, and I wondered just what what WHAT was going on! Glad it wasn't just me though...

    ReplyDelete